Table of Contents
- Summary Information
- Download the finding aid
- Administrative Information
- Controlled Access Headings
- Collection Inventory
- 1. Audiotapes of interviews
- 2. Manuscript drafts for
The Private World of Leonard Bernstein
- 3. Articles by Gruen about Bernstein for miscellaneous magazines, including one unpublished article (1979)
- 4. Catalogues and miscellenous materials
- Curtis Institute of Music Archives
- John Gruen collection of Leonard Bernstein research
- MSS 54
- Date [bulk]
- Bulk, 1967-1986
- Date [inclusive]
- 1.2 Linear feet (3 archival boxes)
- The collection includes untranscribed audiotape recordings of interviews that Gruen conducted with Leonard Bernstein for his book
The Private World of Leonard Bernstein (1968) and additional articles about Bernstein. Drafts of the book and typescripts of the articles are included.
Leonard Bernstein was a conductor and composer who studied conducting under Fritz Reiner at the Curtis Institute of music (1939-41).
The collection is arranged in the following series: 1. Audiotapes of interviews 1967-86; 2. Manuscript drafts for the 1967; 3. Articles by Gruen about Bernstein 1970-86; Catalogues and miscellaneous materials 1976, 1986.
Curtis Institute of Music Archives 2015
1726 Locust Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103
The collection is open for research.
The collection was purchased from John Green in 2011.
Existence and location of copies
Copies of the majority of interview tapes for the book are held by the Leonard Berstein Estate.
Controlled Access Headings
- Bernstein, Leonard, 1918-1990
- Gruen, John, 1926-
1. Audiotapes of interviews 1967-86
The collection includes thirty 90-minute audiotapes of interviews with Leonard Bernstein, family members and others, the majority for Gruen’s book “The Private World of Leonard Berstein (1978). The latter include family scenes and Bernstein playing the piano. (A list of contents is included).
2. Manuscript drafts for
3. Articles by Gruen about Bernstein for miscellaneous magazines, including one unpublished article (1979) 1970-86
4. Catalogues and miscellenous materials 1986, 1997