Table of Contents
- Curtis Institute of Music Archives
- Edith Evans Braun Collection
- MSS 28
- Date [inclusive]
- 1926-1939 and not dated
- 2.8 Linear feet (two photo boxes)
- The collection contains notebooks, exercises and compositions that Evans Braun compiled as a student of Rosario Scalero. In addition, the collection contains etchings of the garden and the house at Merrion, PA, which she and her husband presented to guest attending their wedding.
Identification of specific item; Date (if known); Edith Evans Braun Collection (MSS 28), Curtis Institute of Music Archives.
Pianist and composer Edith Evans Braun graduated from the Oberlin College of Music in piano and organ and joined the faculty of the Von Ende School of Music in New York before she married the Philadelphia businessman and art collector John F. Braun in 1918. A close friend of Curtis’s founder Mary Louise Curtis Bok, she studied composition with Rosario Scalero at the Curtis institute of Music from its founding in 1924 to 1933, and taught the subject “Elements of Music” at the Curtis INstitute of Music from 1942 to 1969.
Curtis Institute of Music Archives 2016
1726 Locust Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103
The collection is open for research.
Related archival materials
Compositions by Edith Evans Braun can be found in the Special Collections of the Curtis Institute of Music. Correspondence with Mary Louise Curtis Bok can be found in the Founders Records (AD 1). Correspondence between Edith and John Braun and William Strasser can be found in the William Strasser Papers (MSS 35). For photos of Edith Evans Braun see the Photograph Collection.
Controlled Access Headings
- Edith Evans Braun, 1887-1976
- Pennell, Joseph, Joseph, 1857-1926
- Scalero, Rosario, 1870-1954
Notebooks and compositions 1925-1929 and not dated
Etchings and copper plates of the garden and house of “Sogo Mio” by Joseph Purnell 1918, 1939 2.8